Eligible patients are still able to book a flu vaccination at the surgery. Flunez nasal drop vaccinations are also available for all at-risk children and all two and three year olds (must have been 2 or 3 years old on 31/08/18). Remember if you are 70 or 78 you can have your Shingles vaccination at the same time as your flu jab, and if you are 65 and over and have not yet had a pneumo. vaccination you can have this too, at the same time.
Seasonal flu vaccinations are offered to the following at risk groups:
- people aged 65 or over
- all pregnant women
- people with a serious medical condition such as
- chronic respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, COPD or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease
- chronic kidney disease at stage 3, 4 or 5
- chronic liver diesease
- chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson's disease or motor neurone disease
- a weakened immune system due to disease such as HIV/AIDS or treatment such as cancer treatment
- people living in long-stay residential care homes
- people who are in receipt of a carer's allowance or those who are the main carer of an older or disabled person.
If you are not 65 or over and do not fall in to 'an at risk group' then some local pharmacies have flu vaccine available privately. There will be a charge for this.
Children aged 2 or 3 on 31/08/18 are also eligible for a free flu vaccination, this comes as a nasal spray. Please book an appointment with a practice nurse for this from early October (hopefully we will have stock available by Sat. 6th October).